Wednesday, March 30, 2011

There's a Form for That

I'm so Lutheran it's a little bit nutty. I'm a much better Lutheran than I am a Christian ((something I'm working on)). I went to Lutheran School for nine years and have attended Lutheran Church my entire life. Martin Luther is kinda a hero of mine and I can go toe to toe on Lutheran doctrine with the best of them. I would make my German Lutheran grandmother proud. I still remember the day she told me, "You know, Catholics are more like us than I thought." My grandmother thought to be a good Lutheran meant you had to be anti-catholic ((because that's the Christian thing to do right?)) See what I mean about being a good Lutheran instead of a good Christian?

OK so where am I going with this? If there's one thing us Lutherans enjoy it's a good form to fill out. We have a form for everything. So when I showed up at the church office on unemployment day three and asked if there was anything I could do to volunteer my time I should not have been surprised when the church secretary handed me a form to fill out. She went over a bunch of things that could use help and by the end of our conversation I was signed up to fold bulletins on Friday afternoon. There is nothing more Lutheran than silently folding church bulletins, it's right up there with our forms. You can't have church with out an order of service, and how are you suppose to know what order things go in without a properly folded bulletin?

Today I remembered how much I love being Lutheran. Every. Single. Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment