Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Bump in the Road

Today I went on my first interview since leaving my position more than a week ago. I interviewed for a front desk reception position at the eye care clinic just up the street from where I live. It was only part time, but part time is better than no time. It was one of the places I had randomly walked into with resume in hand that happened to be hiring. I had a great vibe about the place and the people who worked there, it looked like a perfect fit.

Then my interview came. I wasn't nervous, just determined to self myself. The interview before mine ran over, which was a good sign for that gal, but I just kept smiling. The receptionist at the time was the same one I had seen the other two times I went in. This time she asked me about going to Western Illinois University and even had a connection there herself. Many people in Illinois have never heard of the tiny town of Macomb, let along someone from Washington State. A good sign I thought.

The interview was going great, but it seems like one thing was holding me back. They told me I would not be getting the job because of my pursuit for a Master's Degree. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a woman with a Master's in Public Administration probably won't want to end up working at an eye care clinic for the rest of her life. I could give them a good year, but they knew I would be out the door after that and they were looking for someone more long term. I was out of luck. They did have great things to say about me and even mentioned that if it weren't for that, I would be the perfect hire and employee.

I left with a smile anyway, what else can you do? I knew better than to get my hopes to high or else I would be really bummed. I'm still a little bummed though. But this blog is all about the positive side of the world of unemployment. So here it is: Even though it might have been what cost me the job, I still love going to school, being a student, and pursuing my Master's Degree. Every. Single. Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment